Back on February 22, BTS performed “Save Me” and “Blood, Sweat & Tears” at the ‘6th GAON Chart Kpop Awards‘, becoming involved in a “copying” controversy. Claims complained that the stage consisted of similarities to a previous solo performance by T.O.P at Big Bang‘s concert.
The issue became bloated to the point that Big Bang fans demanded an apology, while Big Hit Entertainmentaddressed the stage as outside of their responsibility.
As fans began pointing out that the fault belonged to the staff of the ‘GAON Chart Kpop Awards’, the Gaon Chart has stepped up to issue an official apology.
“Hello? This is the ‘GAON Chart Kpop Awards’s executive office.
We would like to make an official statement regarding the “copying” controversy involving BTS’s stage at the ‘6th GAON Chart Kpop Awards’.
After confirming with the outside production team of the said award ceremony, the executive office has validated that the production team failed to thoroughly monitor the used video footage, and that the team further failed to adequately explain the involved footage or provide a preview of the results to BTS and their party.
We bow our heads in apology to all those whose hearts were negatively affected by this issue.
We are terribly sorry.
We also thank you for your love and attention toward the ‘GAON Chart Kpop Awards’.
On February 22, BTS put on performances of “Save Me” and “Blood, Sweat & Tears” at the ‘GAON Chart Kpop Awards’ that have netizens complaining about similarities to a previous solo performance by T.O.P at Big Bang‘s performance. Big Bang’s fans demanded an apology, and allegedly, a performance producer at YG Entertainment has expressed disapproval about the similarities as well.
Big Hit Entertainment has now come forward to state the label and BTS are not responsible for the “copying” as the stage design was not set up by them. The agency stated, “Our side did not prepare the production for BTS’ stage in general. These complaints have nothing to do with us.”
Furthermore, BTS fans have now gathered evidence against Big Bang and YG Entertainment to prove that T.O.P’s performance and stage design, including the SMPTE colors bars, were not unique.
Gaon Charts have apologized after BTS was accused of plagiarizing BIGBANG T.O.P’s performance during their awards show.
BTS was accused of plagiarism after their performance at the Gaon Chart Music Awards on February 22. That night they received the Artist of the Year for album sales in the fourth quarter award and the V LIVE Global Popularity Award.
The group also went onstage to perform the tracks “Save Me” and “Blood, Sweat and Tears”. The controversy began as BTS performance at the Gaon Chart Music Awards was accused of plagiarizing T.O.P’s stage from BIGBANG’s 10 Year Anniversary concert. The part in question is when the “no signal” bars come on the screen with videos of the BTS members flashing on the screen behind them.
T.O.P’s solo stage was from a special performance at BIGBANG’s 10 Year Anniversary concert, and it is a fact that this was a very carefully thought out concept that BIGBANG’s production had worked very hard on.
BIGBANG’s director Rachel Cholong, who worked on the BIGBANG MADE tour posted about this as well, using hashtags like #latenightwork and #nosleep to indicate that they spent a lot of time on this stage.
In another more recent post, following the BTS plagiarism accusations, she posted a picture with the caption “Hmmmmmm….Our hard work🤔”. The post was also like by T.O.P’s sister, Choi Hye Youn, leading many to believe that they were referring to the controversy.
Initially, some BTS fans were arguing that this is not a concept that was exclusive to T.O.P and could have been used by anyone. In return, some BIGBANG fans then claimed that that might have been the case if they only used the screen and text. However, BTS’s stage also had images of the members in the back just as T.O.P’s stage had, which made them way too similar for it to be a coincidence.
On February 24, Gaon Charts posted an official statement on their site in regards to the plagiarism accusation. They explain that they used an outside production source and that is why BTS was not aware of the video beforehand.
This is the official statement with regards to the performance plagiarism of BTS that took place at the 6th Gaon Chart Music Awards.
After checking with the production (which we outsourced) for the award, the production did not monitor the video used for BTS’s performance carefully enough and they did not explain or show said video to BTS enough beforehand.
We bow our heads in apology to those affected and discomforted by this incident.
We are sorry.
We would also like to thank everyone for their love and support for the Gaon Chart Music Awards. Thank you.
-Gaon Chart Music Awards
After the 6th Gaon Chart Music Awards, BTS became entangled in a plagiarism controversy because of the video played during their performance at the award ceremony. The footage was at the center of the controversy because of how similar it was to the intro footage for BIGBANG T.O.P’s past solo stages.
Gaon has since released a statement apologizing for the incident on their official homepage. The company took full responsibility for the controversy and stated, “After checking with the outsourced production company that was responsible for the ceremony, we found that there was insufficient monitoring of the footage used for the performances, which resulted in the incident.”
The statement continued, “Furthermore, the company did not have a chance to thoroughly run the footage by BTS before the ceremony either. We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience we have caused.”
Source (1) via Soompi
- BIGBANG Earns Big on China’s QQ Music
- [Social Media] Taeyang’s Instagram Comments 2017-02-24
- [Photo | Video] Seungri at YG Studio 2017-02-24
- [Photo] Soojmooj Instagram story of G-Dragon 2017-02-23
- [More photos] W Korea photo special on G-Dragon 2017-02-23
- BIGBANG’s “MADE” album topped Japanese Oricon’s weekly chart
- Police Protect Seungri from Swarm of Fans in Vietnam
- Alleged YG live performance producer is unhappy about the BTS ‘copying’ controversy
- 15 Idols That Have Completely Transformed Since Debut
- [Social Media] G-Dragon Daily Instagram Summary 2017-02-24
- [Screencaps] Seungri for Love in Universe movie (or possibly OST video)
- [Video] BIGBANG for Nongfu Spring Tea China 2017
- [Social Media] Seungri Weibo Update 2017-02-23
- BLACKPINK & BIGBANG received the music of August, November, and December awards [6th Gaon Chart Awards]
- [Social Media] Seungri Weibo Update 2017-02-22
- BIGBANG win Artist of the Year (digital) for the month of December 2016 with FXXK IT at Gaon Chart Awards
- [Preview] D-Lite | Daesung Interview for Ameba TV Japan on Feb. 25 at 9pm
- [Social Media] G-Dragon Daily Instagram Summary 2017-02-23
- [Social Media] G-Dragon Daily Instagram Summary 2017-02-22
- [Social Media] Seungri Daily Instagram Summary 2017-02-22
- [Photos] W Korea Shooting Star Photo story featuring G-Dragon Feb 2017
- [Photo] Movie Poster for Seungri’s Chinese Movie now named "Love in Universe
- BIGBANG article in Japanese Magazine Feb 2017
- [Social Media] G-Dragon Daily Instagram Summary 2017-02-21
- [Photos] More from Seungri in Vietnam 2017-02-17 to 2017-02-19
- [Photos] More Screenshots from T.O.P in his movie “Out of Control”
- [Audio | ENG trans] D-Lite | Daesung on “Tokyo FM Radio” 2017-02-19
- [Social Media] Seungri Daily Instagram Summary 2017-02-20
- [Photo] Ahnahr Instagram Story with G-Dragon posted on 2017-02-18
- [Various Photos] Seungri in Hanoi Vietnam 2017-02-17 and onwards travel to Danang 2017-02-18
- [Photos] Daesung departure Seoul to Japan 2017-02-18
- [Video] Infinity Challenge G-Dragon Cut airdate 2017-02-18
- [ENG subs] D-Lite | Daesung on Nico Live TV 2017-02-11
- [Social Media] Seungri Daily Instagram Summary 2017-02-19
- [Photos] BIGBANG MADE Full Album Photobook Japan
- [Social Media] Taeyang Instagram Comment and ENG trans of Live Chat 2017-02-17
- [Photos] Seungri in Hanoi for Vinhomes D ‘Palais Louis Premium Suites Handover Ceremony 2017-02-17
- [Photo] BIGBANG with staff from/for Nongfu Spring 2017 Campaign
- [Photo] Charaf Tajer Instagram with G-Dragon (from Paris Jan 2017)
- [Photos | Video] Seungri arrival in Hanoi, Vietnam from Japan 2017-02-17
- [Social Media] G-Dragon Daily Instagram Summary 2017-02-18
- [Social Media] Seungri Daily Instagram Summary 2017-02-18
- [Social Media] G-Dragon Daily Instagram Summary 2017-02-18
- [Photo] Chanya Tamada Instagram with Seungri at Aori Ramen Tokyo Japan 2017-02-16
- [Photo] aoyama713 Instagram with Seungri 2017-02-16
- [Photo] Olivia in Korea Instagram of Taeyang 2017-02-15
- [Photo] XIN Instagram with G-Dragon 2017-02-16
- [Videos] More D-Lite | Daesung Promo Videos for Japan Dome Tour April 2017
- [Photo] David Yu Instagram with Seungri 2017-02-16: Aori ramen 👍👍👍👍👍
- [Info] More anecdotes of T.O.P in the training camp February 2017
- Information on the name tag position confusion of T.O.P’s regiment group photo
- [Social Media] Seungri Weibo Update 2017-02-16
- [Info] News about T.O.P in the training camp: “Do not worry, he eats a lot” …
- [Social Media] Various Updates with Taeyang 2017-02-13 to 16
- [Video] D-Lite | Daesung’s Video Message and Teaser for Japanese Solo Dome Tour April 2017
- [ENG sub] BIGBANG on Weekly Idol EP 289 2017-02-08
- [Photo] D-Lite | Daesung featured on Sakigake Ongaku Website expected on show March 1st 2017
- [Full ENG trans] D-Lite | Daesung ANAN Magazine Japan Interview Feb 2017
- [Social Media] G-Dragon Daily Instagram Summary 2017-02-16
- [Social Media] Seungri Daily Instagram Summary 2017-02-16